To locals of Atlanta, it is no surprise that the metro area is home to a vibrant lineup of mouthwatering destinations. From local staples like fried chicken, soul food and barbecue to international delights such as Korean cuisine, Italian pizza and more, Atlanta has a cure for any craving.
KNOWAtlanta compiled a go-to guide for foodies exploring the city for the first time or locals searching for tasty new destinations.
The variety can be overwhelming for those exploring the Atlanta food scene for the first time. The southern capital is known for its local cuisine, fresh produce and the standing hub for several national and international staples.
If you're searching for a place to try good southern cooking for the first time, the Atlanta area has a long list of restaurants and dishes to try! Many locals will recommend several different dishes to try to experience Atlanta's version of southern cuisine, but here are a few dishes to get you started:
- Fried chicken and sweet tea at Gus’s World-Famous Fried Chicken
- Chili dogs, onion rings and frosted orange shakes at The Varsity
- Smothered and covered hashbrowns at Waffle House
- Fresh peach cobbler at Mary Mac’s Tea Room
- Lemon pepper chicken wings at J.R. Cricket's
- Local barbecue at DAS BBQ
- Chicken and waffles at Atlanta Breakfast Club
- Pimento mac and cheese and hot fried chicken at Hattie B’s Hot Chicken
If you're craving the scrumptious flavor of soul food, Atlanta has you covered! Local hangouts such as Old Lady Gang Southern Cuisine, Pascal’s, Virgil’s Gullah Kitchen & Bar and Twisted Soul Cookhouse & Pours serve steaming portions of cornbread, collard greens, sweet potato pie, banana pudding and so much more!
Remember to wash everything down with a swig of Coca-Cola to round out the Atlanta cuisine experience! One of the most prominent local tourist destinations, the World of Coca-Cola is the perfect spot to learn the history of the distinct cola flavor and quench your thirst after a long day of trying our city's tasty offerings.
Travel the World
While Atlanta citizens may be talented at serving up southern classics, the metro area is a great place to discover international flavors! The city's diverse population has led to an explosion of flavor, making Atlanta a go-to food spot for Korean, Latin American, Japanese, Middle Eastern, Thai, Israeli and much more.
Buford Highway is a famous Atlanta road known for its diverse range of international cuisine options, regularly attracts visitors and locals alike to taste the world's wonders without worrying about bringing a passport!
Additional favorite spots across the city include:
- Tuk Tuk Thai Food Loft, a restaurant that offers a modern take on Thai cuisine, with a menu featuring pad thai, curry, and tom yum soup.
- Nam Phuong is a Vietnamese restaurant known for its delicious pho, banh mi sandwiches and other specialties.
- Aziza serves history rich Israeli dishes in a hospitable environment reflective of their culture and traditions.
- Poor Calvin's, a restaurant in the heart of Atlanta known for its fusion cuisine, includes menu staples such as Thai-styled fried chicken, shrimp and grits, lobster mac and cheese, soy-glazed Chilean bass and more.
- Poke Burri, Atlanta’s favorite local poke shop featuring sushi burritos and everyone’s favorite secret menu
- Yalda inspires to redefine the palate, by celebrating authentic Persian cuisine and introducing middle eastern flavors from his very own family recipes to you right here in Atlanta.
Taste of Atlanta
Overwhelmed by the long list of Atlanta foodie spots? Taste of Atlanta has you covered! Four all-inclusive food & beverage tasting events will showcase 25 different restaurants in four culinary communities who have many of the best Atlanta chefs and restaurants. Secure your tickets today to sample the flavors of popular Atlanta neighborhoods:
- Food That Rocks Sandy Springs on June 8 at City Springs
- Grand Tasting Westside on July 20 at The Foundry at Puritan Mill
- Grand Tasting Alpharetta on September 7 at The Hotel at Avalon
- Grand Tasting Midtown on October 19 at Epicurean Hotel Atlanta
Tickets to each of Taste of Atlanta’s events are one price for all you can eat at restaurant tastes, wine, beer and craft cocktail tastings, mouthwatering dishes, live music, immersive entertainment and more. Purchase your tickets today!
Be the first to know about must-try Atlanta restaurants, upcoming festivals, big business moves, new construction communities and more by visiting our homepage.
Request your FREE issue of the KNOWAtlanta Relocation Magazine today!